Nellie Torres, CPP – Public Safety & Emergency Management Specialist
Ms. Torres has 30 years of public safety and emergency preparedness experience. As part of a global anti-terrorist assistance program, Ms. Torres trained local police agencies in Africa, Asia, Europe and South America. Her experience includes supervising security activities and investigations, directing emergency response at the scene of major incidents, assessing security and threat risks, and developing plans to respond, mitigate, and recover from manmade and natural disasters. Ms. Torres has over 14 years of experience in delivering large-scale projects including supervising one of the largest security events in the world: the opening of the General Assembly of the United Nations, and involvement in the complete reorganization of the NYPD, resulting in a newsworthy and dramatic decrease in crime.
As the Deputy Chief of Security and Safety for the United Nations, Ms. Torres managed extensive security operations, developed an Incident Command System to ensure coordinated emergency response with host country law enforcement and emergency services. Authored inter-agency emergency response plans, and responded to countless threats and real events affecting the UN complex and beyond.
From 1998-2004 Ms. Torres was a contractor with the US Department of State advising governmental and law enforcement agencies on effective security practices and corporate security strategies for American companies operating overseas.
Ms. Torres is also a (Retired) New York City Police Lieutenant who duties included Patrol Supervisor, Incident Commander, Detective Commander, Commander of Police Academy Recruit and Specialty training units, and Media Spokesperson.
Select Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Fellowship for Professional Studies (Awarded yearly to only 2 police executives in the U.S.)
- Invited Visiting Lecturer, Cambridge University’s Institute of Criminology
- Co-chair of the Training Subcommittee of the New York City Metropolitan Counter-Terrorism Committee
- Appointed as advisor to President Clinton’s “Corporation for National and Community Service.”
- New York State Governor’s Award for Outstanding Community Service
- United Nations: Award for Outstanding Service
- U.S. Department of State: Award for Outstanding Service
- U.S. Secret Service: Award for Outstanding Service